September 5, 2014

The house project

Soooo, we bought a house. Which I mentioned on Instagram a few weeks ago. The other *thing* is that we’re also doing a full renovation on said house before we move in. It’s super exciting but also suuuuuper overwhelming too, not surprisingly. I don’t know what I’m doing and we’re operating on quite a tight budget to get everything we want to do completed. Oh and also, perfect and on par with all the amazing interiors I am forced to look at every time I go on Pinterest. Reality check!

We are making some good progress, and hopefully are only a few weeks away from submitting our plans to the building department. In the meantime the kitchen table is covered in floor plans and elevations and paperwork and notes. And I fry my brain every night before bed researching windows and fireplace inserts and tile and bathtubs and everything else that I apparently must pick out right this minute. Fun? Sort of. The pay off will be huge, but it is intense around here right now!

The fun part of course is the inside, and while this is in a way exactly what I wanted when we started looking for a house, I also know nothing and cannot commit to a decision for more than 10 minutes. I am absolutely unskilled when it comes to envisioning an entire house and all it’s surfaces as a cohesive space. But thankfully there is Pinterest, which is basically like an interior design app if you ask me.

The other problem is that I like lots of styles. I would primarily call myself a modern-ish neutrals gal. I like Scandinavian design, I like mid century, I like a little bit of rustic thrown in. See first mood board below.

But for whatever reason that style seems harder and more expensive for me to execute. Kitchen cabinets that I like for that style in particular seem super expensive and seem to be determining the entire style of the house. (See? I do not know what I’m doing!) BUT then again I also love white, black, and wood (if you could call that a style). A little “fancy” for my taste and our family, but incredibly easy for me to visualize and execute. At least I think. Truthfully I’m kind of leaning this direction at the moment.

And then there’s the really fun family-centric style of whites and bright bits of color. Also love this. Also seems do-able.

So where do we go from here? I am paralyzed and know that whatever decision I make I will second guess 1 week after we move in. I think this is why there are people called interior designers. One of which I am not. One of which we cannot afford.

If you’d like to see my House Remodel pinterest board it’s up for public consumption. And I pin to it quite often, not surprisingly. Fingers crossed the demo crew is ready to start before the end of the month. (Or if I had my way next week!)

*all images and their credits available on my pinterest board.

comments

1. Kelli said on September 5, 2014

I just came to your blog to look up your salsa recipes! I love your style boards, I just want to copy them all straight onto my pinterest : ) I did a home renovation a few years ago, it is stressful.Have you checked out Ikea cabinets – they have some plain white options that are nice and get the job done then you can have wood shelves, counters etc. custom built for the look you are going for.

2. Desi said on September 8, 2014

This is so exciting. I would be in the same boat. I think it’s tough to source materials that you’re unfamiliar with. How they look is one thing, but then there’s – Will it last? How will it function in it’s environment? Where should I splurge and where should I save?

With that said in the years I’ve been following you, you seem to manage quite well. I can’t wait to see where you land.

And just to throw in my two cents. I like the top two boards best.

3. Nancy said on September 8, 2014

I love the first and third board! I can imagine how stressful making all those choices would be. Sidenote: Is your current house going up for rent when you move into the new house? We’re in the same neighborhood and are getting desperate to find a new rental. Thanks!

4. Tami said on September 9, 2014

Just looked at your pinterest board. Looks like you pinned our old house on Lyceum. You’ve got good taste :)

5. Michelle said on September 9, 2014

How exciting! Congrats on your new house! Totally understand how it could feel completely overwhelming though…sending positive vibes.

6. Clare said on September 9, 2014

So exciting Kristina! Looking forward to following the house journey :) Renovating is fun-ish….kind of more the looking forward to and dreaming about….and after the dust settles kind of fun! Ha! Good luck, I’m sure it will turn out beautifully.

7. Kristina said on September 10, 2014

@desi me too. We’ll see!

8. Kristina said on September 10, 2014

@nancy I will email you!

9. Kristina said on September 10, 2014

@tami SHUT UP. Well this is an internet miracle! I used to stalk your house years ago when my older son was a baby. Another friend and neighbor pinned your house to her board and didn’t know that it was in our ‘hood. I promptly informed her of course, but then the chances that you are now looking at my mood boards including your house are just wild. Thanks for the inspiration!

10. S.K. said on September 12, 2014

All of your ideas look awesome! I think one of the key things to remember is that you can always change it up later, and you can pick a design that’s easy to do that with! Best of luck!

11. Kelsy said on September 18, 2014

I bet you could easily find an interior designer who would love do a trade for your awesome graphic design skills. Getting advice from someone who knows the trade really will save you money, I promise. Good luck! What a fun project.

12. Caroline said on September 6, 2015

I love your approach to decorate a new home! Mood boards help a lot! It`s totally normal that you like more than one style. First thing to do is finding out which styles you like (you did that already) and then you have to find a way how to combine those styles. I`m excited to see how it`s gonna turn out! Good luck :)

13. hey said on February 21, 2016

If some one needs expert view concerning blogging and site-building then i suggest him/her to pay a quick visit this web site, Keep up the good work.|

14. Alice said on May 5, 2017

If you need great mobile app,take a look at app called AmazingCart
    It supports WordPress (WooCommerce), Magento, Opencart and PrestaShop. You even don’t have to be a programmer to use it. It can easily convert your online shop in native mobile application.